Talk about going through fires! There are many life changing moments in a person's life. Let's name a few you may have or will probably go through. A new baby, losing a close loved one, moving to a new town or country, getting married, losing a home… and the list goes on.
Has one of these things happened to you, or are you living in fear that it might come one day? When I turned 24 my first big life-change happened. I was so young and naive I didn't know what was going to hit me. I left my full-time job to go back to college to finish my education, got married, became an instant mother to a full- of- life tween, and moved out of my townhouse into their home. Talk about changes!
Well, that's where it all started and I began to realize that I couldn't do it own my own. So I started searching for the peace that everyone told me that God would give. Like this scripture says, “That peace I give to you, let your heart not be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27) So, for the last 20 years I have searched for and found ways that have helped me grow closer to God and find that peace. I hope some of these suggestions will help you too.
1. Scripture You can never meditate too much on His word. Find a scripture that gives you hope and peace. Write it down in a prominent place or print out the verse from Pinterest and place it somewhere you will see it all the time. Here's a link to my Pinterest board where I keep a collection. You're welcome to start your search there.
2. Prayer Ask many friends/family to pray for you. I really believe there is power in prayer! I cannot explain it but prayer really works! Trust me on this. So ask your sister, mom, dad, girlfriends, husband, boyfriend, whoever to pray for you. You don't have to tell them anything specific–just to pray.
3. Mind Your mind seems to be a battle field or at least mine was. If you find you are afraid, worried or feel anxious you really have to practice not going there in your mind. Think about your brain like it is divided into rooms. There are happy rooms, laughing rooms, peaceful rooms but there are also rooms filled with fear, worry and anxiety. Whenever you find yourself in one of those places, literally tell yourself, STOP–DON'T GO THERE! Every time you find yourself about to go into that room there do this. It will take some time but it gets easier and easier the more you practice. I believe this scripture sums it up, “Whatever is TRUE, NOBLE, RIGHT, PURE, LOVELY, ADMIRABLE if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think on such things”. (Philippians 4:8)
4. GOD'S IN CONTROL Write this somewhere to see first thing in the morning and the last thing at night, or wear a bracelet to remind you. Keep reminding yourself of this. No matter what He is in control! Now this doesn't mean that bad things won't still happen. Things will happen in your life that are challenging. But that's okay because He will walk with you and carry you through it. Remember He is in control!
5. Choose Joy This is the greatest lesson I learned in my 40's. Remember when you were a child and you would be so excited to go to a birthday party? You didn't worry about who was there or if you would have fun or not. You anticipated fun. Let's start doing that again! Don't think about what will go wrong. Instead get excited about what lies ahead, about what God has planned. Before you even get out of bed say to yourself, “What exciting things might happen today?” Remember to “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” (Romans 12:12)
So remember – God is in Control! Remind yourself with scriptures posted to meditate on and prayers silently flowing up to heaven. And don't go to those fear, worry and anxiety rooms in your mind. Instead get excited about what He has planned for you each and every morning where JOY wakes up. 🙂