Are you seeking to breathe new life into your living room? Look no further for inspiration! Discover a plethora of living room rug ideas tailored to match your couch's color palette. From elegant grey couch rug ideas to sophisticated options for white, calming choices for blue sofas, and cozy solutions for beige couches, we've got you covered.
Let's delve into the world of interior transformation through creative rug selections.
Selecting a living room rug can be fun and exciting. But with so many options it can be overwhelming and daunting.
Remember when you were a child your parents would tell you that you were getting to do something, anything and you would get so excited! You didn't have a fear of the unknown or even the fear of the known. Well, shopping for a rug should be that kind of fun. It should not be a dreaded chore.
We're going to look at your different options to help you find the perfect living room rug.
This post contains affiliate links, meaning I receive a commission if you purchase using the links below at no extra cost to you. All opinions are all my own.
Should Living Rooms have a Rug?
Area rugs can add a beautiful accent to any living room, as well as have many practical benefits. An area rug is usually an excellent idea, especially if you have hard flooring in your home. Your living room is usually the most active living space in your house, you want it to be comfortable and inviting.
What is the Rule for Rug Placement?
Typically, you should leave at least six inches between the end of the rug and the walls. At least two legs of all main furniture pieces should rest on the rug. Lastly, the rug should extend 12-18” beyond the sides of the furniture underneath.
Living Room Rug Ideas
Many times people ask me where to begin when decorating a room. My number one advice always starts with your inspiration whether that is a piece of art, rug, or anything that inspires you.
But my number two advice is to pick out your main pattern, and this is where all your colors will come from to decorate your space. The accent colors in the rug will help you choose your decor.
Here is an example of where we selected our large area rug as our inspiration for this room. The coffee table brings out the subtle colors in the rug and pulls together the seating area. This rug came from Boutique Rugs.
Here are more tips when shopping for a living room rug.
- Sample Rugs: When shopping online for rugs, see if they have samples or purchase the smallest size to proof the color and see if it matches your room. Returning a smaller rug is cheaper than a large rug. It's an easy way to start your rug-buying journey.
- Narrow Down Search: Start with one color when you are shopping for example neutral colored rugs or blue rug. This will help focus your search and keep you on track.
- Select a Style of Rug: Focus on a style of rug, for example, oriental rug, modern rug, Persian rug, jute rug, traditional rug, solid rug, and so on. You want to ensure the type of rug you select goes with the style of your room.
- Rug Fibers: The kind of fibers in your rug will determine if you have to steam clean, dry clean, or if you can wash it. Details about fibers in rugs to consider are wool, remember you cannot wash wool with water or it will shrink, cotton, nylon, and so on. If made with natural materials like jute, ensure you're happy with the unique texture.
- High Traffic or Low Traffic Rug: If you room gets lot of traffic keep in mind a rug that will need cleaning often or if you need a darker rug to hide dirt. Washable rugs are great for those high traffic areas like kitchens, halls and entryways and there are great boutique washable rugs for a higher end look.
- Light or Dark Rugs: When considering a rug ask yourself these questions. Does the room get lots of sunlight, is it a high traffic area. If it is a high traffic area consider a darker rug with more pattern to hide dirt. If it is a room without much natural light consider a lighter rug to brighten the space unless you are going for a moodier look then you will want a darker colored rug. Whichever you choose, neutral colors will be the most versatile.
- Shop for Rug to Match Existing Furniture: If you currently have art, furniture and more start with the most pattern piece or largest piece like a sofa. Dissect the piece with the most pattern or is the largest solid piece. Stand back and ask yourself what colors stand out the most. Then go with those colors when shopping for a rug.
- Solid or Pattern Rug: If you have lots of patterns, consider a solid rug but if your furniture is mostly solids then select a rug with those colors in it. Patterns work well with solid furniture pieces. They are also a great way to add visual interest. However, in this case, we decided to show you the idea of going with different textures instead of designs like this white shag rug and blue dresser.
- Vintage Rugs: If you find a vintage rug you love, do a thorough examination for spots, stains, rips, tears, and smells.
If you're a lucky person who is starting from scratch then let me encourage you to think rug first. It is so much easier to select a patterned rug then match everything to those colors. If you love solid carpets and furniture, start with your art. A whole room designed around one piece of art can be very timeless and beautiful.
The main thing is that picking solids is so much easier than pulling patterns. I always encourage people to select paint last. It is almost still the easiest to pick out. If you need help choosing a paint color, this popular Sherwin Williams paint colors post is a great place to start.
A neutral color palette is a good idea as it is highly versatile. But it depends on your personal style. Bold patterns and vibrant colors may reflect your design style more than a neutral color scheme. In which case a statement rug may be appropriate to your decor.
Best Living Room Rug Ideas to Match Sofas
There are many different styles and colors of rugs in the world. Here are some popular ones paired with common couch colors. Click the image to get more information about each rug.
Grey Couch Rug Ideas
White Couch Rug Ideas
Blue Sofa Rug Ideas
Beige Couch Rug Ideas
How to Shop Online for a Rug
If you live in a small town, rug shopping can be even more challenging. You see so many options online and love them, but you don't dare purchase one for fear of not liking it and having to return that enormous thing.
Well here is a trick. Pick out the ones you like and order the smallest size to proof. Then it is easy to return, and the cost is low. Also, some companies will send you samples for free, and you don't have to replace them. I'm not sure exactly what that swatch will look like because I have never ordered a sample before. But I think it's a brilliant idea and the easiest way to rug shop.
And last, look at the return policy. There are companies who even pay the return fee. I think that is a win-win for a rug shopper.
Selecting the perfect rug can be challenging and intimidating. But it doesn't have to be that way. It can be fun, easy, and and enjoyable experience. In fact, finding the right rug can be exciting. The right living room rug can provide a cohesive look to your living room.
You can find more great rug and decor ideas in my Best of Hearth and Hand from Magnolia post, Best of Pottery Barn and Best of Studio McGee collection. I update these post regularly and there is a rug section. I hope this helps you discover the perfect plan for shopping for the perfect rug.
What are your favorite living room rug ideas? I'd love to hear about them in the comments!